Monday, May 2, 2011

Their Eyes Were Watching God Book Review

Their Eyes Were Watching God is a story about the freedom of women and how to live your life. Janie was a young woman who was looking for true love and the meaning of life. It took her years to finally find the answer but she learned and gained so much knowledge along the way.

I never thought this book would have so much meaning to me. At first, I thought it was just going to be another required book to read. As Janie's story began to unfold, I was instantly pulled in. Just as any other person, Janie was determined to figure out her purpose in life. After two failed marriages, she finally found what she was looking for. Tea Cake was one of my favorite characters because he expressed hid love to Janie like no other.  He wanted to take care of her and keep her out of danger. One of the most prominent events in the book, the hurricane, really pushed the book to its limits.  Unfortunately, the life of Janie and Tea Cake took a turn for the worst.  During the length of Tea Cake illness, I was flying through the pages of the story, only to find out what would happen next.  I was left speechless after Janie shot Tea Cake, her one true love.  It was done out of safety.  The love between Janie and Tea Cake remained the same, it just could not be shared the same way it was before.  The ending of the book left me feeling very hopeful because Janie achieved what she wanted to do and I want to follow in her footsteps. 

I can see where Zora Neale Hurston was highly criticized during the story.  Their Eyes Were Watching God is an honest, true historical fiction novel.  It opened my eyes to the terrible treatment African American women received before they were given equal rights.  Even though the harsh words said about this book, I was painted with beautiful images that gave me a lot of insight and made me feel like I was in Janie's shoes.  This books is inspiring for all, because if you work hard, you will make it to the horizon and back.  I give this book a five out of five stars. 


   Image: http://bit.ly/iUbHWy

No comments:

Post a Comment