Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Friendly Letter to My Summer Reading Book Character

703 Churchville Road
Bel Air, MD 21014
September 3, 2010

Dear Heidi,

My name is Amanda. I live in Bel Air, Maryland, and I am a freshman at John Carroll. Reading about your adventure in So B. It by Sara Weeks, gave me the idea of a real summer adventure. Over the summer, I swam on my pool’s swim team, the Rock Spring Racers. We had a great season! I even ran with the Harford County Track Club. I also went to Ocean City, New Jersey, with my family. We spent almost every day at the beach and went boogie boarding. It was a blast!

I thought your story was very inspiring. You were very determined to find your family. I couldn’t believe you were only 12 years old and you took a bus trip across the country by yourself. It must have been very hard to deal with your mother’s death. I’m sure it was very exciting to find out that you had a father and grandparents. A lot of important events shaped the story and made me think about the types of relationships I have with my parents right now.

I thought Sarah Weeks made your character very realistic. The story was believable because there are dysfunctional families like yours all over the world. The author put me in your shoes and made me think about the relationship I have with my mom. I know you had a very close relationship with your mother. Sarah Weeks did a good job showing the special bond you had with her.

On the way to New York, were you afraid that the bus would leave without you when you took stops on the road? If the bus left without me I would have flipped out! How is your relationship with your father now that you know who he is? I hope you have good relationship with him.

Mental illness was a major social issue in So B. It. You grew up in a loving home, but it probably wasn’t the most appropriate. Your mother never got the proper help she needed with her illness, but your neighbor Bernie did her best to take care of your mom on her own. A lot of children can relate to your issue and should get the proper help they need. The issue of mental illness has left me thinking. What happens to the children while their parents get help? Are they put in foster care? One way to raise awareness of mental illness is to tell people about your mom and how special she was.

I hope you have a safe, happy life with your “new” family. Your adventure taught you so much about life and I wish those memories will stay with you forever. You are a true hero and I will never forget your story.

Sincerely,
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Take your last name off of all of your blogs online. Thanks. They look great! I like your template!

    ReplyDelete